VAT registration and VAT returns in United Kingdom

Tax representative and tax agent in United Kingdom

Do you need to register for VAT in the UK? Do you need a fiscal representative or tax agent in the UK? Do you need to submit your VAT returns with HMRC? You’ve come to the right place! On this page we explain clearly how to get your UK VAT number and which service provider to call if you want to outsource this process. Understand everything about tax representation in the UK in 5 minutes!

Book a meeting
représentation fiscale

Need to register for VAT in a European country?

Are you developing your export sales? Do you have new tax obligations in terms of intra-community VAT to manage? We have the solution to help you grow without adding to the paperwork.

Your issues
Our solutions
Tax representative
Tax representative

Appointment of a Fiscal representative and tax agent in Great Britain

A fiscal representative in the UK assists companies in obtaining a British VAT number and submitting a VAT declaration.


A company conducting VAT-related transactions in Great Britain is obliged to register for VAT purposes with HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) in order to declare its transactions and pay VAT in Britain. To register for VAT purposes, an unregistered company has the right to appoint a Fiscal representative called also tax agent responsible for dealing with any and all administrative procedures on its behalf. The purpose of this service is to help foreign companies fulfill their respective obligations towards the HMRC and to comply with applicable VAT regulations.


Below you may find much interesting informations on tax representation in Great Britain and find out how to register for VAT in Great Britain.

How do I get a VAT number in the UK

Companies whose registered office is not located in Great Britain, subject to one of the following situations, must register with the HMRC as a VAT payer:

If you do not conduct any transactions subject to taxation in Great Britain, you cannot register for VAT purposes in this country.


To register for VAT purposes in Great Britain, it is necessary to follow the VAT assignment procedure. This is available on the website of HMRC. A foreign company has to fill in and send a VAT1 form together with its appendices to the above administration authority.


The waiting time for a VAT number is usually 8 weeks. Therefore, it is important to strictly comply with the procedures in order not to delay this further. A fiscal representative in the UK is responsible for dealing with any and all registration formalities on a company’s behalf as well as for submitting a VAT declaration and paying the tax. Therefore, it is worth considering working with a company that offers this kind of service.


The minimum validity period of a VAT number in Great Britain is:

vat agent
tax agent

How do I fill in VAT declarations in Great Britain?

All companies registered for VAT in Great Britain must submit a VAT declaration. This contains a detailed summary of any and all transactions (purchase, sale, import, export, services) conducted in Great Britain. A VAT declaration may be submitted on a quarterly or monthly basis if the company’s total transaction amount exceeds GBP 2,000,000 per year. The declaration is sent electronically using the HMRC website. To register on the HMRC website, all you need to do is follow the procedure described on it. It also contains information necessary to fill in the British VAT declaration. The document should be submitted by the 7th day of the following month. For example: declarations for Q1 (January, February, March) should be submitted by 7 May.

What our customers say about us 🔥

“The service Eurofiscalis provide us, give me the confidence and trust that we have a compliance process to Europe for our VAT and customs…”

More than 500 international companies trust us

Why use our Service to be your tax representative / tax agent?

Eurofiscalis is an international tax company specialising in tax representation. Our experts (statutory auditors, accountants, lawyers) speak 3 languages and will take care of all tax obligations on behalf of your company. European tax law and related aspects are a critical issue in a company’s development on the international arena, which is why we establish long-term relations based on trust.

Analysis of your tax obligations

Analysis of your flows and compliance with VAT, intrastat, invoices, customs

VAT registration

Processing and submission of your VAT registration

Getting your local number

Getting your local and EORI numbers

formation guichet unique

Simplified customer/supplier bookkeeping

Submission of your VAT returns

Filing of your periodic VAT and Intrastat returns

Contact with the authorities

Single point of contact with local authorities

Countries where we offer the service of fiscal representative

Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Northern Europe
Southern Europe

Use our firm to manage your VAT obligations in the UK

Use our service and outsource your UK VAT returns

Book a meeting